Skip to content

A day of gluttony

Wednesday was a day of luxury. We flew from Bahrain to Abu Dhabi in the morning. We rode in an Audi A8 from the airport to the Beach Rotana, where this whole journey began. Back to our fancy hotel. We checked into the hotel upstairs in the lounge. While we finished checking in we had a couple of cappuccinos. The sales director, Halim, with whom we had dinner a few times, booked our room for us. He upgraded us to the corner suite on the 14th floor. Our room had a vestibule, a dining room, guest bath, living room, and separate master suite. It was unreal. The bedroom had windows wrapping the corner of the building. Our balcony was long and wrapped around the corner as well. Talk about luxurious. I was almost speechless. 

After we got our things settled, we went downstairs to have lunch at the buffet. How I will miss the buffet. This time I made sure to try things I had not had before. We overindulged in desserts. There were these little bird nest desserts. From what I can figure, it was shredded phyllo dough with a sugary, cheesecake-type filling, dripping in honey. Absolutely delicious. We tried several other new pastries, also, including the dessert of the day—hazelnut fig pudding.

After lunch we took a two hour nap in our suite. Then we went back to the lounge for more coffee. I had a latte this time. We talked and laughed about how gluttonous we were being. But it’s not often we have days like that. To stretch out our limbs, we went for a walk through the mall. I bought a fancy pair of sunglasses. Darren is all about sunglasses right now and we found a Giorgio Armani pair  I could not resist. My indulgence for this trip. 

We met Halim back in the lounge at 8 p.m. He wanted to know how we liked our room. =) He’s a very good man. We told him he was very generous and thanked him profusely. We chatted for a while, then I excused myself to go call my sister. She lost a very good friend this week and I needed to hear her voice. When I got back to the lounge, Halim expressed his sincere condolences for the loss of Sammy. He said some very sweet things that elevated my respect for him. 

When we got back to our suite for the night, Darren ran me a bubble bath in the jacuzzi tub. It was heavenly. He put a good squeeze of bubble bath in the water and the jets made tons of suds. It was kind of funny—like one of those overflowing washing machine scenes from a movie. When the suds started going over the side of the tub, I emptied the water, crushed some of the bubbles, then filled the tub again. Ahh.

This morning, Thursday, October 13, room service delivered breakfast at 5:30 a.m., courtesy of Halim. We took another private car back to the airport at 6:15 a.m.. It’s time for this wonderful trip to come to an end and for me to come home to the U.S. Darren’s plane has already left for Bahrain. He’ll be home before my plane leaves Abu Dhabi. Right now I’m sitting in the airport waiting for my gate to open. I really need to just walk and stay upright until my plan boards. I’ll be sitting long enough then.

Goodbye, Abu Dhabi and Bahrain. It’s been a wonderful month.



One Comment Post a comment
  1. Mom #

    Kim,you were definitely treated like royalty on the last leg of your journal. Your blog was superb and I enjoyed every day with you. The photography was just outstanding. Have a safe journey home and we will see you soon. Love, Mom.

    October 13, 2011

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: